DIY Whole Grain Waffle Mix. Stock Your Pantry With Homemade Waffle Mix.
Waffles and pancakes are staple around here! I finally...FINALLY... figured out that it is so much easier to mix up several batches of this DIY Whole Grain Waffle Mix at once to have on hand in the pantry.
The beauty of these ready-made mixes is that when I have an itch to make waffles, I simply combine a few wet ingredients (milk, eggs, butter, and vanilla) and stir them into my ready made dry mix. In less than 5 minutes they are ready to hit the waffle iron!
Here are my simple secrets to success when trying to make your own homemade DIY waffle or pancake mixes:
1.) Use a familiar recipe, preferably one you have made many times.
2.) Use a recipe with as few steps as possible. You will want to pour, mix, and be done.
Here is how you take this single batch recipe and turn it into multiples you can stock your pantry with.
- Decide how many batches you want to make. Let say you want to make four batches. You will multiply this recipe four times.
- Grab 4 bowls.
- Following the recipe, individually measure out the dry ingredients into separate bowls.
- Transfer ingredients from each bowl into individual bags.
- Label the bags to include final directions.
- Finished. likely in about 10 minutes!
If you notice my labels below...I didn't exactly write a novels worth of directions. I didn't need to, because I have made waffles enough times that I know what to do without detailed step by step instructions. If you think you may need more info when it comes time to cook, feel free to add more details to your instruction labels.
Once you realize how simple this technique is, you will want to make even more DIY mixes. Check out more of my favorite recipes I use to fill my pantry.
- 1.5 C. white whole wheat flour (King Arthur Flour is my fave)
- ½ C. all purpose flour
- 1 TBLS sugar
- 1 Tbls. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. cinnamon
- 2 C. buttermilk (make your own: take 2 C. milk, add 2 TBLS lemon juice and let sit 5 minutes.)
- 2 large eggs
- 6 TBLS melted butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Mix together all dry ingredients into a medium bowl. If you want to make multiple batches to store, multiple recipe and measure into separate bowls.
- Pour dry mix into separate ziplock bags.
- Label bags. Include what you need for wet ingredients and their directions.
- Combine 2 C. buttermilk (or plain milk), 2 eggs, 6 TBLS. melted butter, and vanilla in small bowl. Stir wet ingredients into dry.
- Heat waffle iron. Ladle mix onto hot iron and cook as directed by waffle iron. I fill mine so batter just reaches the edges and cook until edges of waffles begin to brown and crisp. Make sure to stir batter in between batches.
- Serve or freeze.