Easy Homemade Chocolate Syrup, a simple alternative to store bought.
I can't exactly call this Easy Homemade Chocolate Syrup a "healthy" recipe. Its basically all sugar.
That being said: I know exactly what in it, and there are no crazy additives, chemicals, or food dyes. It also facilitates my kids eating twice the amount of fruit they normally would. I call that a WIN.
This recipe takes only 10 minutes start to finish, and the results are awesome. There is no contest between this chocolate syrup and what you buy in the store in the brown bottle. None. This actually tastes like chocolate, so you will use way less than good ol' Hershey's. This is also an amazing recipe to cook with your kids. Simple and quick with an excellent reward at the end.
- 1 C. cocoa powder
- 1 C. Sugar
- 1 C. water
- 1TBLS. vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Add water and sugar to a medium sauce pan.
- Over medium heat, stir until sugar begins to dissolve.
- Add cocoa powder to sugar water and stir until completely combined.
- mixture will begin to bubble and thicken, continue to cook over medium heat (I lowered mine to med/low because I have very powerful burners while STIRRING CONSTANTLY.
- Continue to cook and stir for 3-4 minutes or until mixture is slightly reduced and syrupy.
- NOTE: mixture will thicken more after it cools.
- Cool syrup completely and funnel into a squeeze bottle. (we recycled our Hershey bottle, but you can pick them up at the dollar store too!)