Easy Make Ahead Meatloaf For The Freezer
When you want to stock your freezer fast, this Easy Make Ahead Meatloaf is a must have recipe. This is perfect if you are short, on time or don't want to get too involved with chopping and kitchen messes.
I happen to believe that meatloaf can be super delicious with only a few simple ingredients. I am food snob...truly...but some dishes don't need heaps of fresh chopped herbs and dozens of ingredients to make them sing, and this Easy Make Ahead Meatloaf For The Freezer is one of them.
Meatloaves can have endless variations and I like to think of this one as "Italian Style" with basil, onion, parmesan, and garlic as its featured flavors. Put away your kitchen gadgets and break out the dried spices, this is going to be an easy one. You won't be disappointed!
Tips and FAQ For Your Easy Make Ahead Meatloaf For The Freezer
- This recipe makes one large meatloaf with enough for seconds or leftovers
- If you want to make more than one, or make-one-and-freeze-one, you will want to double (or triple, etc) the recipe.
- You CAN bake the meatloaf and then freeze it fully baked. If you choose to do this, you will want to thaw it fully, then bake at 350 degrees just until it is warmed through. About 30 minutes. A possible advantage to this strategy would be so that you could warm it in the microwave as apposed to having to heat your oven for over an hour.
- You can divide this recipe into smaller loaf pans or muffin tins for smaller servings.
- I find the best results happen when you freeze this uncooked, and fully thaw it before baking. You can, however, bake this while still partially froze, it will just take longer.
- Because this is so large I would leave this out over night to thaw, as it will take several hours.
- 2 lbs ground beef, I use 85%
- 2 eggs
- 1 C. diced bread cubes (alternately you could use 1 C. dried bread crumbs any variety)
- half a small onion diced small
- ¼ C. Ketchup (plus an additional ½ C. when you are ready to bake)
- ½ C.grated parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp. dried basil-or italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1.5 tsp. kosher salt
- hearty splash of milk to moisten bread, about a ¼ C. if you must measure
- black pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients into a large bowl and combine well with clean hands.
- Spray a glass or disposable baking loaf pan to prevent sticking
- Press mixture into loaf pan,
- ---If cooking immediately--- top meatloaf with addition ketchup and place in 400 degree oven for about 60-75 minutes or until completely cooked through.
- ---To Freeze--- cover meat loaf with foil, label and freeze. When ready to eat, remove meatloaf from freezer and thaw completely if possible. Because it is so thick it will likely take several hours so I would take it out the night before. If you don't thaw completely, you CAN cook it while partially frozen but it will take longer and may yield lightly uneven results.
- Top thawed meatloaf with remaining ketchup
- Bake in 400 degree oven for 60-75 minutes or until cooked through.