Kid Friendly Corn Chowder. A One Pot, 20 Minute Meal.
I am in love with this kid friendly corn chowder recipe. But, why do I call it "Kid Friendly"?
- It's delicious.
- It's sweet and creamy.
- It doesn't have a bunch of unnecessary ingredients or "bits" your kids will want to pick around. Corn and carrots and usually pretty well accepted and that pesky onion is virtually undetectable in the creamy broth.
- It uses pantry ingredients.
- it is simple and fast to make.
- It freezes awesome.
- My kids love it.
If you are looking for a new idea for Meatless Monday, or are in need of a hearty soup recipe to plug into your fall cooking repertoire-this is it!
If you are reading this, thinking it looks awesome but secretly knowing there is no way my kid will eat that.....
Check out this article on getting your kids on board with homemade soups. My kids were hard core canned soup eaters. I spent several months phasing them into chunky stews and soups. check it out HERE.
- 6 TBLS. butter, divided
- 2 medium carrots, diced small
- 1 medium onion, diced small
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ C. flour
- 3 C. Corn fresh or frozen. I prefer sweet corn variety from frozen.
- 3-4 C. chicken stock (amount depends on your desired consistency, I lean toward 4 C.)
- 1 C milk
- 1 C. ½ and ½
- pinch of nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste. Don't skimp!
- Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and carrots and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add remaining 3 tablespoons of butter and the garlic and sauté for an additional 30 seconds.
- Turn burner down to medium low, add the flour and stir to make a roux. Cook until the roux is lightly browned. About 3-5 minutes.
- Add chicken stock a bit at a time and whisk to combine to keep lumps from forming. Continue until 3 cups of stock is added. Add corn and stir. Add milk, and half and half, stir to fully combine. Add in additional cup of stock if desired.
- Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- TO FREEZE:
- ---Let soup cool. Once cooled, ladle into one or two freezer gallon sized bag. Lay bag completely flat in freezer so it freezes flat.---
- TO SERVE FROM FROZEN- Thaw. Dump contents into large sauce pan, or pot. Warm over medium heat until desired temperature. We serve our soup with buscuits for dipping!