Sausage Breakfast Casserole For The Freezer, Perfect For Company.
I LOVE overnight company. It is so fun to have family and friends come and stay for a big slumber party. HOWEVER, it is hard enough feeding your own crew much less adding a second family to the mix. This Sausage Breakfast Casserole for the freezer has become my prep-ahead savior when I want to keep a large group fed and happy.
Are you doubtful that raw eggs can be frozen with good results? Doubt no more! Your casserole will come out fresh prepared, really and truly.
Do you love the idea of this casserole but don't need to freeze it? Thats great too. The completed but raw casserole can chill out in your fridge for 2 days before baking.
So, simultaneously escape the early morning scramble and clean-up while impressing the pants off your guests. Have this breakfast done done done, locked and loaded in your fridge or freezer!
- 12-15 whole eggs (If eggs are small use 15.)
- ¼ C. half and half (you could also use cream)
- 16 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 C. hearty white bread, cut into cubes. I prefer a dense bakery bread, but you could use sandwich bread too.
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 lb of bulk breakfast sausage
- half an onion, diced small
- small red bell pepper, diced small
- Butter a 9x13 casserole dish.
- Beat eggs in a large bowl.
- Add half and half, salt, and pepper to eggs and beat until combined.
- Brown breakfast sausage in a sauté pan over medium heat until cooked through. About 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle diced onion and peppers into the bottom of the buttered casserole dish.
- Evenly distribute the cooked sausage over the veggies.
- Pour egg mixture over the sausage and veggies.
- Evenly sprinkle shredded cheese over top of egg mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes or until eggs are fully cooked and set in the center.
- TO FREEZE: Do not cook the eggs. When casserole is fully assembled wrap with a layer of plastic wrap and a layer of foil. Place in freezer for up to 3 months.
- TO HEAT: Remove casserole from freezer. Remove plastic wrap and foil. Allow casserole to fully thaw. When thawed place in 350 degree oven and bake for 20-30 minutes or until eggs are fully cooked through and set in the center.