Whole Grain Chocolate Chip Cookies, The Perfect After School Snack.
Are you looking for a special after school snack that is a treat for your kids, but also healthy? This Whole Grain Chocolate Chip Cookie is it!
These Whole Grain Chocolate Chip Cookies taste like a classic white flour chocolate chip cookie, but even better. They are crisp on the outside, chewy on the inside and have the added bonus of depth of flavor. There is nothing "healthy" tasting about these in my opinion, just a gorgeous cookie you will make again and again.
P.S. These are what show up on a plate after school if I have been a bit of a crab in the morning. I don't do well under pressure before coffee, what can I say.
I try to make a double batch so I can make one/freezer one. How nice is it to have a batch of healthy, homemade, slice and bake cookies waiting in the freezer???
- ½ cup butter
- ⅓ cup + 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup brown sugar, light or dark, packed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup King Arthur 100% White Whole Wheat Flour or Traditional Whole Wheat Flour
- ¾ cup oat flour
- 1½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Beat together the butter, sugars, salt, baking soda, baking powder and vanilla till well combined.
- Add the egg, beating till smooth. Scrape the sides of the bowl, and beat again till smooth.
- Add the flour and oat flour, beating to combine.
- Mix in chocolate chips
- Cover the cookie dough, and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled; about an hour. (you can bake without chilling but it will yield a much flatter cookie.
- When you're ready to bake, preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly grease (or line with parchment) two baking sheets.
- Drop the cookies by the traditional teaspoonful (about 2 measuring teaspoons, about a 1" ball) onto the prepared baking sheets, spacing them about 2" apart. A teaspoon cookie scoop works well here.
- If the cookie dough has been refrigerated, bake the cookies for 13 to 14 minutes, until they're a very light golden brown, and a bit darker around the edges. For unrefrigerated dough, bake for about 11 minutes. For softer cookies, reduce the baking time by about 2 minutes.
- Remove them from the oven, and cool right on the baking sheets.
- Yield: about 15 medium cookies