My favorite type of recipe. Kid friendly, freezer friendly, fast, and customizable!
Like a lot of my recipes, I lean on the classics but amp them up with high quality ingredients. Our pizza muffins use whole wheat dough, organic jarred sauce, local pepperoni, and whole milk mozzarella.
Do you need a new obsession? Mine is this pepperoni from Vermont Smoke And Cure. It is ridiculously good. Go searching store to store for it , good. It's uncured, nitrate and preservative free too!
I NEVER use pre-shredded cheese because its the devil, and because of THIS. You notice how it never melts, right?!
I serve it with a big ol' bunch of grapes, and I feel as though I have done my job offering up a healthy, hearty snack or mini-meal.
- One package whole wheat pizza dough
- 2 C. Jarred or homemade marina (I add a hearty pinch of oregano, and garlic powder to mine)
- 1 16oz block of whole milk mozzarella, shredded. (you may have some left over)
- 1 C. pepperoni slices cut into halves or quarters.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Using olive oil, grease the insides of a muffin pan (mine is for one doz. muffins.)
- Roll out pizza dough until approximately ⅛" thick
- Using a cup with a wide mouth, or other round cutter about 5 inches in diameter, cut out 12 rounds of pizza dough.
- Press one round of dough into each muffin cup. My dough did not quite reach the top of pan and they popped out great.
- Sprinkle about 1 TBLS cheese into each muffin.
- Top cheese with about 2 TBLS sauce.
- Add a few pepperoni pieces to each cup.
- Layer one more Tablespoon of cheese on top of each cup.
- Top each cup with a few more slice of pepperoni.
- Bake at 350 until dough is cooked through and cheese is just starting to turn golden. About 25 minutes.
- Place fully cooked muffins into a gallon size freezer bag. Freeze.
- TO REHEAT FROM FROZEN-
- Microwave one at a time for approximately 2 minutes. on top of paper towel, or until heated through.
- You could also bake at 350 until heated through, approximately 20 minutes. Watch that you don't overcook the cheese though!